The Port Washington Police Department reminds you that you and your family can prepare now for the possibility of an influenza pandemic. You should know both the magnitude of what can happen during a pandemic outbreak and what actions you can take to help lessen the impact of an influenza pandemic on you and your family.
Please click here to view a checklist that will help you gather the information and resources you may need in the event of a local flu pandemic. Copies of the checklist along with additional information are also available in the Port Washington Police Department lobby.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO STAY HEALTHY
There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people:
- Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
- If you get sick, the Center for Disease Control recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.